Thursday, July 15, 2010

Republicans turn their backs on fairness

George Steinbrenner, owner of the NY Yankees, died a few days ago. The circumstances that resulted from his death really anger me. I'm not a Yankees fan. And I'm not a big fan of Steinbrenner. And you know I'm not a fan of my Republican party. And it's the intersection of Steinbrenner's death and the stupidity of my Republican party that really anger me.

It turns out that George died at just the right time. His family now avoids paying over $600 million in estate taxes. Yep, the Steinbrenner family held a Republican lottery ticket that allowed them to walk away with $600 million. And this points to one of my biggest beefs with my Republican party. My Republican party turned its back, years ago, on making American life a level playing field for everyone. Republicans don't give a damn about basic fairness in our society.

Is it fair that a very wealthy person who dies in 2010 pays no estate taxes? If it happened last year, or next year, it would have been a different story. Who in the hell thought leaving 2010 wide open with no estate tax requirement made sense? Who in the hell thought this was a fair outcome? Republicans. When Republicans controlled the White House and Congress they monkeyed with the tax code and left this stupid hole in 2010 where no estate taxes would be paid. Republicans simply lacked common sense. And the Steinbrenner family wins a $600 million jackpot. The American taxpayer borrows another $600 million from China, to be paid back at a later date, by our children and grandchildren.

My Republican party simply lacks a lick of common sense on a wide number of issues. They don't focus on the most basic and simple concept of America. Our country is a level playing field, with fairness to everyone, rich or poor, black or white. Or, it should be that way, if not for the Republican party.

North Carolina deserves better than Republican Senator Richard Burr.

No comments:

Post a Comment