Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Burr is an optimist? Give me a friggin break


There was an article in the Raleigh News and Observer yesterday about Senator Richard Burr. I almost choked on my oatmeal as I was reading this article. It was way off base. The one line in the article that got my goat was this one:

"Burr once told the Winston-Salem Journal that his optimistic view on life came from dinner table discussions about death and tragedy, because that's what his dad dealt with at work."

Optimistic view?

Let's set the record straight right now. Richard Burr is no optimist. True to Republican form, the man runs around spreading fear, doom, gloom. Case in point? ... Burr's speech in Hendersonville on April 13, 2009:
  • Burr used the "D" word in describing the U.S. economy.
  • I would tell you it's not a recession. I would define this as a depression.
  • The world is at a zero-interest-rate policy, yet we continue to see the economy slide. We continue to see unemployment grow.
  • On the whole, Burr delivered a gloomy assessment of the current economic situation, and offered no reason for optimism.
  • On Friday night, I called my wife and I said, 'Brooke, I am not coming home this weekend. I will call you on Monday. Tonight, I want you to go to the ATM machine, and I want you to draw out everything it will let you take. And I want you to tomorrow, and I want you to go Sunday.' I was convinced on Friday night that if you put a plastic card in an ATM machine the last thing you were going to get was cash.
Are those thoughts from an optimist? Burr was a screaming pessimist on April 13, 2009. Senator Richard Burr stood in front of an audience of business people 18 months ago and spread a message of doom and gloom.

So, how did Burr's message play out? It revealed that Senator Richard Burr is a financial and economic idiot. He was spreading fear at the very bottom of the economic recession. Since that evening, the S&P 500 has moved from 858 to 1181 - a 37.6% return on investment. Nice job Senator Burr - scare your audience out of an opportunity of a lifetime to have confidence in our country and act on that confidence by making astute investments.

While Richard Burr was out spreading fear, our nation's economy was healing and moving off the bottom. While Richard Burr was busy spreading fear, I was snapping up lower quality debt securities. I knew better. I knew our government was making all the right moves by saving our nation's banks and flooding the economy with spending.

Richard Burr is a fear monger. He's no optimist. Far from it. Senator Richard Burr is a loser.

North Carolina deserves better than Republican Senator Richard Burr.

No comments:

Post a Comment