Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Jury Duty convinces me that Richard Burr is a loser


I had jury duty yesterday, waiting in a room all day long to be called and interviewed. While sitting at a table with 3 other fellow citizens, we talked. I listened. On the one hand, it was one of the most inspirational experiences of my life. On the other, it was eye opening and extremely depressing. It left me enraged with our federal government, which I'll blog about later.

Americans are hurting. I spoke with people below the poverty line, who willingly gave up a day of wages to serve our judicial system. Most of these folks live on the edge, no health insurance, relying on food stamps, family members seeking employment, children signing up to serve in the military and being sent off to war. I heard a long, long string of stories that tugged at my heart and left me fighting a deep sadness for the state of our country. Yet, to the one, these folks didn't complain. They weren't asking for more help. They just wanted opportunities to work, and weren't finding any.

It's going to take me awhile to mentally recover from my experience yesterday. One thing is for certain though. If you're reading this and you get a jury notice in the future, don't make an effort to avoid jury duty. Look forward to this experience. You'll never again find yourself with such a golden opportunity to learn what's really going on out there in America. You're put in a room with a couple hundred strangers. You sit there long enough that reading can't occupy all your time. You'll be forced to introduce yourself to others and make small talk. Forget the reading, skip directly to the small talk. Engage people with questions that will enable you to learn about their lives, their children, their employment situations. It's an enriching experience that every American should cherish.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Senator Richard Burr hasn't spent a day of his life serving on jury duty. I'll bet you that man hasn't spent a single day of his life sitting, all day long, with average Americans and engaging them in discussion to learn about their lives, the challenges they face, and what they think about how our federal government runs our country. Our Senator hides under his desk and in his upper class life and remains absolutely clueless as to what's really going on in America. Our Senator is a pathetic loser who does absolutely nothing to improve the lives of average Americans. Nothing.

North Carolina deserves better than Republican Senator Richard Burr.

No comments:

Post a Comment